The National Quality Monitor (NQM) is a senior professional as such, he is perceived to be a professional guide. It is expected that the NQM should bring out the deficiencies clearly but he should also not become a mere fault finding person. Accordingly, under the third tier of quality mechanism, detailed guidelines for monitoring of quality of the road works have been given. The method of inspection of works, making observations and reporting is standard, clear and objective.
In addition to clear and express guidelines, orientation programmes were organized to ensure clear understanding of the guidelines. The third tier of quality mechanism is an important aspect of PMGSY and the performance of National Quality Monitors is critical. Therefore, the NRRDA is evaluating the performance on regular basis. Assessment in respect of the following aspects is required to be covered during the performance evaluation:
- Whether the NQM has carried out inspection as per the guidelines;
- Whether there is lack of application of mind by NQM in recording observations;
- Whether there is a tendency to avoid desirable technical observations;
- Whether the NQM has left inspection format incomplete without any reasons;
- Whether the NQM has filled up formats mechanically without appropriate testing or observations in best professional way.
The review of reports of NQMs shall be carried out by the members of Performance Evaluation Committee constituted by NRRDA. The evaluation of every item and sub-item of inspection shall be carried out and the observations of the performance evaluator shall be quantified in terms of marks. Item and sub-item wise maximum marks shall be as per enclosed marking format (Evaluation Sheet). The marks obtained shall be filled up by the evaluator in the prescribed column. Based on the provision of specific item or sub-item of work, total maximum marks will not remain same in all cases and will vary depending upon the stage of the road work at which NQM has visited. Therefore, instead of absolute totals, a percentage will be taken for the evaluation.
Marking Methodology For Performance Evaluation
Marking shall be done in the following manner given below. For easy understanding, guidelines for Quality Monitoring under Third Tier of Quality Mechanism including formats are attached for ready reference.
Observations on Quality Arrangements
The observations of NQM on establishment of field laboratory, availability of equipments and use of equipments may be evaluated. For these items 5 marks are prescribed. The observation regarding mandatory tests, QC Register may be evaluated for these items 5 marks are prescribed.
The results are required to be compared with the test results by the PIU in QC Register. It should be seen that whether the NQM has made efforts to verify these results and 5 marks are prescribed for this item.
Observations on Geometrics
In case of ongoing/ completed works, the NQM is supposed to measure the width of road way and carriage way, superelevation and extra widening at curves at a defined chainage and is required to offer the comments about the adequacy. 2 marks are prescribed for each of these sub-items. The NQM is also required to offer comments on gradients in case of hilly/ rolling terrain. 6 marks are prescribed for this sub- item.
Observation on Quality of Items of Work
The NQM is required to make observations on the basis of hand feel tests or detailed test in respect of all the items of construction. He is required to get test pits dug to facilitate observations. Sub-item wise marking will be done in the following manner:
- Earth work : Maximum marks 10. The marking will depend on the quality of observations made by NQM in case of four sub-items detailed in performance evaluation sheet.
- Sub-Base : Maximum marks 10. The marking will depend on the quality of observations made by NQM in case of four sub-items detailed in performance evaluation sheet.
- Base Course : Maximum marks 10. The marking will depend on the quality of observations made by NQM in case of four sub-items detailed in performance evaluation sheet.
- Bituminous Course : Maximum marks 10 for Bituminous Courses.. In case of on-going works, grading of aggregate, binder and temperatures are to be observed by NQM. In case of completed work, the thickness and surface evenness is to be observed by NQM. The marking will depend on the quality of observations made by NQM.
- Shoulders : Maximum marks 5. The marking will depend on the quality of observations made by NQM in case of three sub-items detailed in performance evaluation sheet.
- CD Works : Maximum marks 10. The NQM has to see adequacy of CDs and quality. The marking will depend on the quality of observations by NQM with respect to location, type and quality of CDs.
- Side Drains and Catch Water Drains : Maximum marks 5. The NQM has to see adequacy of drains and quality. The marking will depend on the quality of observations made by NQM.
- CC Pavement and Drains : Maximum marks 10. The NQM has to see the quality of CC pavement / semi-rigid pavements etc. and drains including their integration with CDs. The marking will depend on the quality of observations by NQM.
- Road Furniture and Markings : Maximum mark 6. The NQM has to see the fixing of furniture and the quality. The marking will depend on the quality of observations by NQM.
- Marking in case of Contradictory Remarks : If NQM has made such a remark in any item which is contradictory to remarks made in earlier part of the report, zero mark will be awarded in the item or sub-item where this remark has been given. Zero mark will also be awarded for that item or sub-item for which the earlier observations have been contradicted.
- Marks for not recording any observations : If the NQM has not recorded any observations without giving reasons, Zero mark shall be awarded in that particular item/sub-item.
- Marks in case of Incorrect Grading : If observations made for any item does not commensurate to the grading awarded to that item, zero mark would be awarded to the corresponding item as given in clause 2.3 above.
- Marking in case of wrong Overall grading : If the calculation of overall grading is not as per guidelines, it would be a fair indicator of the care and sincerity of NQM. No marking would be done in such a case and word “wrong overall grading” would be written on evaluation sheet.
Performance Ratings and Summarization
Performance rating of the NQM would depend on the average of marks obtained in all the evaluated reports. The summary sheet shall be filled up by the evaluator on the basis of average of observations in all the evaluated reports.
Performance Evaluation Sheet
Name of work :
Work Ongoing or Complete: O/C
|#||Item||Sub Item||Case Of||Max. Marks||Marks Applicable||Marks Obtained|
|Attention to Quality|
|1.||Quality arrangements and Attention to Quality||Field Lab||On-going||3|
|Verification of Test Results||On-going & Complete||4|
|2.||Geometrics||Road way and carriage way||On-going & Complete||2|
|Super-elevation and extra widening||2|
|Gradients in case of hilly and rolling terrain||6|
|Observation on Quality of Items of Work|
|3.||Earthwork||Soil Classification||On-going & Complete||2|
|Degree of compaction||4|
|Earthwork in hilly/ rolling terrain or high embankments||On-going & Complete||2|
|4.||Granular Sub-base||Grading||On-going & Complete||2|
|5.||Base Course||Grading of Aggregate||On-going & Complete||2|
|Volume & Plasticity of filler material||2|
|6.||Pre-mix Carpet/ BM/ SD/ MPM including Seal Coat||Grading of aggregate||On-going||4|
|Grade of binder||2|
|Mixing and laying temperature||4|
|7.||Workmanship of BT layer||Thickness||Complete||5|
|9.||CD Works||General Quality||On-going & Complete||5|
|10.||Side Drains and Catch Water Drains||General Observations||On-going & Complete||5|
|11.||CC/ Semi Rigid Pavement & Associated Side Drains||Thickness||On-going & Complete||3|
|12.||Road Furniture and Markings||Main Informatory Board & Citizen Information Board.||On-going||3|
|Other Road Furniture and Markings.||Complete||2|
Marks obtained to marks applicable = %
(Name & Signature of Evaluator)
Summary Performance of NQM
NQM Code :
Whether inspections performed generally as per guidelines:
General observation about application of mind in recording observations:
(Correlation in observations and grading)
|Quality of Work|
|(a) Earth Work|
|(d) Bituminous Course|
|(e) CD/Drainage/CC Pavement etc.|
|(f) Furniture and Signage|
Whether NQM has left portions of inspection format blank without recording any reasons:
Whether tendency to avoid desirable technical noticed:
Whether NQM has made contradictory remarks:
Whether NQM could provide guidance to the PIU through his observations:
Average % Marks: